One of the most familiar physical symbols of aging is a double chin. Other factors such as genetics and an unhealthy diet that is high in fat and calories can also cause a double chin. A double chin is the result of loose skin and extra fat deposits. Without question, having a double chin can be a major deal, particularly if you’re persnickety about your appearance. Here are just a handful of strategies that can possibly help you eliminate that double chin in no time.
- Low Calorie Diet: Studies show that scarfing down more calories than your body needs will fast-forward the aging process. Research also indicates that reducing your caloric intake is not only productive in getting rid of your double chin, but it can be beneficial as far as fat loss in other areas of your face also. If you want to ditch your double chin, you’ll have to make selected changes in your diet. You’ll have to rule out fast food and similar junk foods that are stuffed with fat and calories. Or at the very least, cut back.
- Get Your Entire Body Moving: If you’re serious about depleting your double chin, you will also need to incorporate some sort of exercise along with a restricted diet. Reducing fat in any single part of the body is only possible if you lose weight in the rest of your body. If you’re heavyset, it’s pretty far-fetched to think that you will lose weight on your chin alone while the rest of your body remains flabby. You don’t have to sign up with a gym or fitness center, you could do something more casual like running, cycling or swimming. Aerobic exercises or weight lifting are great for firming up your body in general.
- Exercise Those Platysma Muscles: Probably the most popular double chin workout is the platysma muscle exercise. First off, open your mouth just as wide as you can. (without causing pain or major discomfort, obviously). Position your bottom lip so that it would cover the bottom row of teeth. Now the lower portion of your mouth should look like a scoop. OK, now move your jaw up and down as though you’re making an effort to catch something with your mouth. Do ten repetitions about three times a day and you should see results in a short time. Another simple exercise that you can do to get rid of your double chin is to raise your chin and move your mouth in a chewing motion. If for some reason you can’t do the chewing motion, simply closing and opening your mouth is enough. You’ll gradually feel the muscles in your neck and jaw tightening. These can be very effective exercises when done on a regular basis. Bear in mind though, you will more than likely not want to do these exercises someplace where you can have a little privacy, to avoid being the source of childish jokes and laughter.
- Proper Posture: Believe it or not, bad posture can contribute greatly to that accumulation of fat and loose skin that makes a double chin. Keeping your back straight and chin up instantaneously makes a double chin less visible. Those annoying posture lessons that we all had in gym class, like the old “chest out, shoulders back and stomach in” routine is actually a terrific way to prevent your jawline from sagging. You might not realize it, but when you are working on the computer, watching TV or reading in bed, you probably squish your chin downward against your neck. You really have to try to catch and correct this ugly tendency.
- Chewing Gum: Facial muscles need a workout, just like arm or leg muscles in order to stay in shape. Chewing gum is one of the easiest and best ways to give your facial and jaw muscles the exercise they need. Just make sure that it’s sugar-free gum because a tight chin and jawline look much better with a healthy smile. (By Tony Cimba)